Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Fire season already?!

Wade Hall
June 11, 2001 03:37PM
There are definitely long-term fire season patterns over the years. If you notice, during much of the 1930's, the K-36 and K-37's were equipped with spark arrestors during the summer. This was, of course, a dry period over much of the Western and Plains states. After that, the "big" engines didn't sport spark arrestors again until the C&TS era. The K-27's and K-28's sported spark arrestors pretty much all along.
Specifically regarding the Silverton Branch, a long-time D&RGW employee (who shall remain nameless) told me several years ago that the D&RGW didn't have the fire problems that they have now for several reasons. Among them: the D&RGW regularly, either by cutting or chemically defoliating, removed a lot of brush from near the right-of-way; small fires were allowed to burn themselves out (often unnoticed); and (this is controversial) that the "old heads" on the D&RGW knew how to "hook up" (the Johnson bar) the locomotives so as not to throw as many cinders. I'm a little skeptical about that last one, but based on my memories of the Silverton in the 60's, I would say the other two are definitely true. Of course, chemical defoliation or wholesale brush-cutting today would have some people up in arms. But, leave the brush next to the right-of-way and it gives a small fire a chance to get a lot bigger in a hurry. And being in what may be a long-term dry pattern doesn't help. Also, the forests along the Silverton Branch (especially the ponderosa) are a lot thicker now than they used to be. Overmature and crowded ponderosa stands tend to become diseased and fire-prone naturally. All they need is an ignition source to start a major conflagration. Of course, thinning by logging is considered verboten by some, so . . .
By the way, across the Rio de Los Pinos from the C&TS from about Big Horn to Toltec is a perfect example of a very diseased ponderosa/Douglas fir forest that is absolutely prime to burn. I was frankly amazed that it didn't burn last year. One errant lightning strike and it would've gone up.
Subject Author Posted

Fire season already?!

Big Bird June 10, 2001 07:56PM

freddyb June 11, 2001 07:30AM

Bill Calmes June 11, 2001 10:03AM

Don Richter June 11, 2001 02:51PM

Wade Hall June 11, 2001 03:37PM

Rob Gram June 12, 2001 06:34AM

Wade Hall June 12, 2001 07:06PM

Rob Gram June 12, 2001 10:33PM

Los Alamos fire

John West June 12, 2001 11:19PM

Re: Los Alamos fire

Jessica Stacey June 14, 2001 07:37AM

Fred T June 14, 2001 12:07PM

Chile John June 14, 2001 01:37PM

The government strikes again! *NM*

Grant Houston June 17, 2001 07:33PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.