Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Eureka........and Fundamental Rights

January 02, 2008 09:10AM
Good Morning Robin!

The 1472 day rule is a service day calculation. That is, fire in the firebox and pressure on the boiler. Days not in service are not counted so far as I know.

As for the 15 year apspect, That is the portion that says the tubes must be pulled every 15 years from the last time, in essence that the tubes were installed to do an internal inspection of the boiler. Thus, if a locomotive is rebuilt, and NEVER used,(the 1472 service day has no application) the tubes must still be pulled to do an internal inspection of the boiler and basically start all over again with the Form 4 calculation etc.

There are several ways of looking at this. If the locomotive is fully restored and not used, and yet is stored in an enviroment that fully protects the equipment, then pulling the tubes to do the internal is a very expensive and unnecessary exercise. On the other hand, if the locomotive is stored in an enviroment that is corrosive, wet, exposed to the elements and otherwise generally uncared for, then the concept of pulling the tubes, though never used makes some sense. What the rule also does not take into account is that pulling the tubes in and of itself is not the only way to do an internal inspection, especially on a very small boiler. There are other methods that are equally effective such as using borescopes, UT testing, and a bunch of others that can accomplish the same thing.

Naturally, there will always come a time when the tubes must come out. The question is, I suppose, should that arbitrarily be determined by the calendar,or condition, or something else. The rule does not require the tubes to come out because there is something inherently wrong with them at the end of 15 years, it requires them to come out to do the inspection. As far as I know, the same tubes can be safe ended and put back into the boiler again. But then, the otherwise perfectly new tubes will have been cut and welded back together. Personally, I prefer tubes that have not been cut, welded and stuffed back into the boiler.

What makes this all the more interesting is that the State boiler inspectors have no such calendar requirement. They look at the condition of the tubes, and the condition of the boiler shell as determined by their inspection methods. That is why Eureka has a current operating certificate from the State of Nevada. Both agencies are deeply concerned with the condition and safety of the boiler. But who is right? Maybe they are both right, and the FRA rule needs a little tweeking. I guess one of these days we will find out.

Thanks for your interest.

Dan
Subject Author Posted

Eureka

Dave Wolven December 29, 2007 09:33AM

Re: Eureka

Brian Norden December 29, 2007 09:46AM

Dave Wolven December 29, 2007 09:56AM

Anonymous User December 30, 2007 08:00PM

Robin Warren December 31, 2007 06:40AM

Eureka........and Fundamental Rights

Dan Markoff January 01, 2008 09:27PM

Jeff Taylor January 02, 2008 12:39AM

Robin Warren January 02, 2008 08:14AM

Dan Markoff January 02, 2008 09:10AM

Fred T January 02, 2008 04:43PM

Dan Markoff January 02, 2008 06:56PM

Dan, thank you.

Brian Norden January 02, 2008 09:33PM

Steve Hughes January 02, 2008 09:07PM

dougvv January 02, 2008 01:16AM

Dan Markoff January 02, 2008 08:40AM

dougvv January 02, 2008 11:12AM

Dan Markoff January 02, 2008 06:59PM

dougvv January 02, 2008 10:09PM

Eureka appearances

Dan Markoff January 03, 2008 12:32AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login