Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: EDA

John Craft
June 06, 2001 07:52AM
If I have the story straight (I got it from Earl, who I hope jumps in and corrects any errors I make), the history of this series of grants goes back to 1995 or so. 463 was rebuilt using proceeds from a Small Business Administration grant that also went to fund construction of passenger cars (520-522, I think). The powers that be were pleased with the economic impact of the funding, so the Commission and Kyle began to work on building a support for a series of grants which would fund resurfacing the entire railroad in five 12-14 mile segments.
The first grant finally got approved in 1998 or 1999, and was put in jeopardy by the late unpleasantness. The states stumped up the $200,000 match in last year's appropriations, which would have been split by the operator and the Commission in the original agreement. Rather than focusing on the first 12 miles, the grant was redirected to fix the worst spots on the railroad.
The second grant has moved surprisingly fast. A preliminary application has been in place for a while, but the final app and the go-ahead came quickly. This year's work will be funded by the remainder of the first grant, and the Colorado legislature will make it's portion of the match available in March, just right for starting up again next spring.
What do we hope to accomplish? When all is done, fifty years of slow change will be reversed. Tie condition is pretty good, but heavier rail is desireable in many places, cross-level and alignment will be addressed, etc. The track gangs will be much more efficient due to mechanization, as well. And several areas of improvement suggested by the FRA will be implemented.
The result will be a smoother ride for the passengers and less wear and tear on locomotive and coach running gear, which will lead to lower Total Cost of Operation.
JAC
Subject Author Posted

Another EDA grant for trackwork

Osier Humpmaster June 05, 2001 07:02PM

Re: Another EDA grant for trackwork

Allen Tacy June 05, 2001 11:25PM

EDA

John Craft June 06, 2001 05:39AM

Stevo del Applegato June 06, 2001 07:18AM

John Craft June 06, 2001 07:52AM

Allen Tacy June 06, 2001 01:04PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.