Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Amen

John Craft
April 11, 2001 08:10AM
It's not a wooden railroad car, but in 1998, my wife and I took the layers and layers of old paint off our circa-1910 siding-and-shingle house and repainted. We learned a lot in the process. To echo John and Fred:
Surface prep should be 90-95% of your time and effort. Scrape off flaking paint and sand the edges. Sand the weather checks out to the best of your judgement. Fill nail holes with putty, caulk before priming, etc.
Put as much linseed on the wood as it will soak in before priming. We used a 50-50 mix of boiled linseed and mineral spirits, but the other mixtures mentioned work just fine too.
By the best paint you can get your hands on, and try to keep the primer and top coat from the same manufacturer. Paints are formulated as systems these days, not as independent components. (We used Sherwin-Williams "SuperPaint" and have been very pleased with how it's holding up. Our neighbor's house, done around the same time without the obsessive prep and with lower-quality paint, already needs a repaint.)
In a situation like this, where there is probably oil primer is preferable. Like Fred said, these days latex topcoat is of equal longevity and quality as oil. (There's no problem using oil primer and latex topcoat.) Latex has a slight advantage of being more flexible, and to a certain extent "self-healing" with scratches. Oil has the advantage of wearing a bit better, and not "blocking" on windows and doors. The best compromise might be latex on the large surfaces of the sides and ends, and oil on the door and window frames. Or if one has a clear UV-inhibiting advantage, go for that.
More is not necessarily better. A single coat of primer and two top coats should do it.
Good luck.
Subject Author Posted

Caboose painting advice

Bill Pratt April 10, 2001 08:33PM

Re: Caboose painting advice

Fred T April 10, 2001 09:51PM

My technique

El Coke April 10, 2001 10:50PM

Re: Oil vs latex

Fred T April 11, 2001 06:38AM

Amen

John Craft April 11, 2001 08:10AM

Re: My technique

Oil Czar(Jerry Huck SVRy) April 11, 2001 08:13AM

Re: My technique

Bill Kepner April 11, 2001 12:05PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.