Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hallack & Howard logging engine #4 on Cumbres Pass

PRR
January 15, 2001 09:48AM
Basking in the glory of success in the specta-cular find of Climax #732 (4-L e-group #9266, #9267) and power of the Web, I offer a new challenge.
Why was Hallark and Howard #4 at Cumbres Pass facing west as seen in the ca1927 photograph by Agent C.R.Livery on page 138 of 1971 book "Logging along the Denver & Rio Grande" by Gordon Chappell (out of print 28 years)? Mr. Dorman used the photo also in one of his books but dated the photo in error [?] as ca 1938. It was on the siding in obvious relay status for further movement.
It was indicated(assumed)it was going to scrap. Why was it being pulled west over Cumbres to go to scrap? It does not look to be in very bad shape. Did they scrap engines in the Standard Smelter, or at the American Smelter or New York Smelter in Durango at the time?
How could the scrap be worth the railroad freight rate to move it?
But, could the engine be going to the active Pagosa Lumber Co's. logging railroad at Dulce? I believe Pagosa Lumber had 4 engines in 1926 but only one rod engine used in 1927 to 1930. That ex-C&S engine might have been in much better shape than old P.L.Co #70 that was ex D&RG #70 and thereby the #4 replaced the #70. Since Climax #7 moved from H&H to PLCo. we can see the companies were in touch. This is speculation so do not publish it. Very few photographs have come out of the Jicarilla Apache area and would best be found with relatives of train crews that worked the San Juan line. A few of the McPhee and La Madera sawmill men moved in and out of Dulce and may be a source if their relatives can be found. Could the #4 photo be a few years earlier, say ca 1924?
I don't expect any direct answer here like the spectacular #732 find, so this is where anyones notes, speculation, idea, and guesses can be offered. This is a 30 year old question that never got presented to the few living trainmen that might have had the answer. R.W.Richardson has offered his idea, but also had no true knowledge. There are no newspapers of this or the Chama area existing, but two Durango papers may hold the answer. They are daily papers so it may take a year of reading to search this out. They will be read. W.G.Cook
Subject Author Posted

Hallack & Howard logging engine #4 on Cumbres Pass

PRR January 15, 2001 09:48AM

According to my "Cokeculations"...

El Coke January 15, 2001 11:34AM

Re: According to my "Cokeculations"...

PRR January 15, 2001 01:09PM

Pagosa Lumber

El Coke January 15, 2001 01:43PM

Re: Pagosa Lumber

PRR January 15, 2001 04:28PM

Re: Hallack & Howard #4 on Cumbres

PRR January 15, 2001 06:46PM

Pagosa Shay

El Coke January 16, 2001 07:08AM

Re: Pagosa Shay

PRR January 16, 2001 10:10AM

Re: Pagosa Shay

PRR January 18, 2001 08:13AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.