Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Before There was a Safety Weekend at SVRy

April 17, 2006 08:08PM
Martin, I can't take credit for that quip. When I was a kid a grandfatherly type neighbor used to take me fishing. When I would exclaim in excitment(or the other way around) "I got one, I got one" only to reel in nothing he would say "You were a little premanure". That was a long time ago, but I always thought it was cute.
Incidently as a rr anecdote though not NG, this old gentleman I am speaking of told me once how he came out west in the 30's from Kansas. As I recall the story after 35 years, he found that the rr (UP) had a forgotten discount rate on their books for homesteaders. It allowed him a full box car for a rather small amount of $$ well below the going rate to the destination of his choice on the system. One of the stipulations was that he had to have the acutrements to start a homestead which included at least one horse or mule. He was no homesteader, but the deal was too good to pass up to move his household, so he bought a young mule and loaded up his boxcar for the trip to Oregon. When he got here, he bought the local hotel which he and his wife ran for years. The mule was given to a kindly freind who kept it in a pasture for years. I remember this mule as a kid being snow white and I think my dad told me that at time in the late 60's the mule was about 40 years old and had never done a days work in it's life.
Subject Author Posted

Before There was a Safety Weekend at SVRy *PIC*

Loggerhogger April 15, 2006 05:47PM

Jim Adams April 16, 2006 08:59AM

Loggerhogger April 16, 2006 09:34AM

J.B.Bane April 17, 2006 10:31AM

Loggerhogger April 17, 2006 10:39AM

stuart olson April 17, 2006 03:26PM

J.B.Bane April 17, 2006 08:08PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.