Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Equipment at Breckenridge, Fairplay and The Loop

July 13, 2000 05:32PM
Folks:
While driving through Colorado last week noticed some ng items from the road.
Breckenridge, 2 boxcars and a rotary. I assume the rotary is imported (maybe WP & Y?) as it looked to be an oil-burner. Are the boxcars original C&S items?
Fairplay, from the road saw something called South Park Village, looked to be a small ng engine and a few ex-Rio Grande cars.
Anybody know the history of these items? Whinnng from other family members prevented me from getting a closer look. But I did pull over at Silver Plume to look around.
Noticed three cabooses, one I recognized as an ex-Rio Grande, one looked like another ex-RG, but another had a center cupola and was painted "Georgetown Loop" RGS style. What is the history of these cabooses?
First time I have seen the ex-USG locomotives, are they operational? If so are they used much? The 44 tonner still has the RG style paint scheme, it was wearing on the CT&S, with "Flying" Georgetown Loop lettering.
Peeked in the windows of the display building, I assume the two passenger cars in there are original C&S. Where did they come from? Any chance they will run on the Loop, or will they be stuffed and mounted?
This was the first time I have stopped by the Loop in years. quite a few changes since I used to ride and watch in the late 70's. Even the kids were impressed watching from the view area off of I-70. Will probably be back in the area in the fall and the kids say we need to ride.
Lastly, noticed one of the shays following the train light down to Georgetown. This was on the 11th, do they doublehead up the hill (train looked pretty full)or was it just some sort of shakedown run. Also, what is the history of the open-air cars. Only saw them from the view area and not up close. Are they converted ex-RG?
Thanks in advance to all that respond!
Subject Author Posted

Equipment at Breckenridge, Fairplay and The Loop

Randy Riter July 13, 2000 05:32PM

Re: Equipment at Breckenridge, Fairplay and The Lo

Tim Bain July 13, 2000 06:02PM

GEs question

Mike Oestreich July 13, 2000 06:14PM

Josh Levine July 13, 2000 09:44PM

JOsh Levine July 13, 2000 09:55PM

Phil Johnson July 13, 2000 10:17PM

C&S Car Numbers

Mike Trent July 14, 2000 05:29AM

Re: C&S Car Numbers

Phil Johnson July 14, 2000 04:45PM

So Far, So Good, Phil

Mike Trent July 14, 2000 09:02PM

RBrinton July 14, 2000 08:21AM

Ken Martin July 15, 2000 11:50AM

Phil Johnson July 16, 2000 09:00PM

Dave Dye July 14, 2000 11:12PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.