Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Larry Salone and the East Broad Top Preservation Association (attention South Park!)

June 10, 2013 06:50AM avatar
I am going to answer the question South Park posted here by opening a new thread.
South Park
So, what's the problem with this Salone guy ? In other words, I am MOCKING the people who whine but lack the cojones to stand up and SPEAK.

Ok Sarge, here is my list of things that make me less-than-optimistic about Larry Salone.

First of all, during my visits to Rockhill Furnace, (1) some of EBT's former employees have told me that Mr. Larry Salone really screwed them over and (2) an incredibly dedicated FEBT volunteer told me that Mr. Larry Salone has threatened to sue him.

Second, when I read the many articles that have been published about the East Broad Top over the last few years, I am struck by how few of those articles quote both Mr.Salone and the Kovakchicks. If an article quotes Mr. K., it won't quote Mr. S, and vice-versa.

Third, when I google "Larry Salone" I find multiple newspaper articles about bankruptcies and lawsuits involving him. There is a May 15, 2008 Altoona Mirror article "Salone Holdings files Chapter 11 - State College restaurant, rail museum won’t be affected by action, owner says" and a November 14, 2008 Sharon Herald article titled "Lube franchisee sued first, calls action ‘heavy handed’"

Fourth, when I went to Guidestar.org and downloaded the tax form for his non-profit organization (the East Broad Top Preservation Association), I was left with the impression that the "Association" is one-person: Mr. Salone. Furthermore, while I am not a tax accountant, several aspects of those tax forms make me extremely reluctant to donate to it.

Another google search of the phrase "Donations can be sent to EBTPA" finds dozens of published articles that all say Mr. Salone's non-profit is attempting to raise $6 million by the end of the year. IMHO, a non-profit attempting to raise that amount of money really needs to have a BOD.

Fifth, since taking over the EBT, Mr. Salone has made several unusual moves - for example, here is a RYPN thread about how he moved PRR 1361's boiler into the East Broad Top's shop.

Another unusual move Mr. Salone made was claiming that the EBT needed "$400,000 for safety repairs needed to run excursions". Here is a quote from an 2012 Altoona Mirror article by William Kibler:

Altoona Mirror article (not available online)
The association doesn't want to compromise this effort to secure the future of the National Historic Landmark operation by siphoning energy into the short-term goal of raising up to $400,000 for safety repairs needed to run excursions - especially given the possibility it will lose control at the end of the year, association President Larry Salone said Friday.

There's no way operational profits this summer would cover the cost of the safety improvements, Salone said.

Moreover, even if the association could raise the funds for safety repairs, those repairs would take more than a month, which would cut into the excursion season anyway, he said.

AFAIK, Mr. Salone never explained why the EBT suddenly needed $400,000 in "safety repairs. Furthermore, FWIW, the Friends of the East Broad Top operated a members-only excursion during the 2012 Fall Spectacular.

--
Chris Webster
Subject Author Posted

Larry Salone and the East Broad Top Preservation Association (attention South Park!)

Chris Webster June 10, 2013 06:50AM

Re: Larry Salone and the East Broad Top Preservation Association (attention South Park!)

Chris Webster June 10, 2013 07:05AM

Re: Larry Salone and the East Broad Top Preservation Association (attention South Park!)

EBTfan15 June 10, 2013 07:10AM

mikefrommontana June 10, 2013 09:43AM

Re: Great!!

Randall Hess June 10, 2013 01:14PM

Will Gant June 10, 2013 06:32PM

Jason Midyette June 10, 2013 04:09PM

Chris Webster June 10, 2013 07:14PM

CS BROWN June 10, 2013 11:52AM

EBTfan15 June 10, 2013 01:27PM

Fred Folk June 10, 2013 03:08PM

Nelson Bros Lumber Co. June 10, 2013 09:48PM

EBTfan15 June 11, 2013 09:20AM

CS BROWN June 11, 2013 09:28AM

extra16south June 11, 2013 10:03AM

EBTfan15 June 11, 2013 11:13AM

weston1879 June 11, 2013 05:46AM

Nelson Bros Lumber Co. June 12, 2013 01:33AM

extra16south June 12, 2013 08:38AM

Nelson Bros Lumber Co. June 12, 2013 10:37PM

FLSTC July 01, 2013 08:40AM

South Park July 02, 2013 10:13AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login