Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

More WP&Y, and reply to Bill Barbour

June 06, 2001 09:46AM
Bill...
Thanks for your observations on the WP&Y car design article. I'll comment briefly on some the points you make, and add a couple things. (I've posted this as a new item, as the earlier thread is falling off the bottom of the page.)
It was careless of me to call the ABDX valves "triple" valves. The official nomenclature is "control" valve. I improved my knowledge of all this, thanks to your remark, by going to the huge WABCO website (via Yahoo). After this, I took a look at "WABCOPAC II TRUCK MOUNTED BRAKE ASSEMBLY". I was surprised at the complexity of the assembly, and the number of parts involved. (I had thought the approach might be simple and elegant for a newly designed, but traditional looking, truck. Now, I doubt that.) You're preaching to the choir when you bless cast iron as a brake shoe material. I've been a fan of cast iron ever since I built a live steamer, and found how nicely (although dirtily) it machined.
A little story: When we were converting D&RGW boxcars to passenger service for the C&TS RR, in 1971, the FRA wanted us to convert to type AB brakes. (The cars have K-type triple valves.) We would have had to change out everything, including the brake cylinders, and face the unpleasant prospect of running equipment of both types in one train during the transition. We ignored the suggestion, and never regretted our decision.
Based on your comments about steel and wood, I suspect that you may not realize that the main goal of my (unauthorized) design project is to come up with a safe, good tracking car, built from aluminum. The weight saving potential is immense, as aluminum weighs one-third of steel. To give you an idea of the possible saving, the WP&Y cars weigh 33,000# without trucks. (I may have reported this incorrectly in my first post.) So, building the car body out of aluminum might bring its weight down to 11 to 16,000#, for a total car weight in the range of 20 to 25,000#. This would improve the economics of C&TS RR operations significantly.
I've had to "go back to school" as regards structural design in aluminum, as my earlier training was limited to steel. (But then, my training in electronics concentrated on vacuum tubes, with transistors being sort of a curiosity. That was satisfactorily overcome in the 1970's.) A few of the things that are different about designing with aluminum are that you want to join things with rivets, or bolt them together (with stainless steel fasteners), instead of weld them (which weakens the alloys near the welds); you need to choose the alloy you specify, considering the corrosion environment and the strength required; and the finishing options are quite diverse. Incidentally, some large buildings, some high speed ferry boats, some railroad cars, and all aircraft are built with aluminum. I'm searching for good examples, which would help to make my points. One last point: In a design of this nature, you are far more concerned with stiffness and the avoidance of buckling, than you are with pure brute strength. I probably have a lot of convincing to do with the powers-that-be, but will have plenty of very good evidence.
Bob Keller
Subject Author Posted

More WP&Y, and reply to Bill Barbour

Bob Keller June 06, 2001 09:46AM

Re: More WP&Y, and reply to Bill Barbour

Mark Valerius June 06, 2001 03:20PM

Re: More WP&Y, Car details

Bill Barbour June 06, 2001 06:40PM

Bob Keller June 06, 2001 06:55PM

Fred T June 06, 2001 09:36PM

Aircraft Manufacturing

Bob Keller June 06, 2001 11:04PM

Re: Aircraft Manufacturing

Fred T June 07, 2001 12:21AM

Fred T June 07, 2001 01:39PM

Mark Valerius June 07, 2001 02:02PM

Mark Valerius June 07, 2001 01:57PM

Double Headers

Bob Keller June 06, 2001 06:41PM

Car weight

Fred T June 07, 2001 01:17PM

Design Review #1

Bob Keller June 07, 2001 11:17PM

Seats

O.Anderson June 12, 2001 04:13PM

Re: Seats

Bob Keller June 13, 2001 08:11PM

Re: Seats

Randy Hees June 13, 2001 11:48PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.