Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Connection issues

October 07, 2007 01:11PM avatar
Some additional information...

This is clearly a DNS issue, but for anyone wanting to try Open DNS as a potential solution, some cautionary words. This is a workaround. The root cause is still out there waiting to bite. Due to the nature of DNS propagation and caching, when bad information appears, it will be sporadic, showing up on some servers and not others, and will last longer on some than it does on others. Because of what Open DNS does, they way they do it, and the service they're providing, I believe that any problems which do show up there are more likely to resolve quickly than they will on many mid-sized to smaller ISPs, and will thus give the appearance of being non-existant or at least lessened - but that's the best we can do.

I'd also suggest that you not blindly move to Open DNS without doing your own due diligence. I'm pretty well satisfied that this is a good and safe solution for me, and as Don says, it appears to offer some speed advantages over my ISP's nameservers as well, but I'm still monitoring things and may change my opinion in time.

And finally, if terms like ISP, DNS, nameserver, etc. cause your eyes to glaze over or, worse yet, your whole body to quake in fear and trepidation, either get somebody knowledgeable to help out, or just let things lie. This isn't rocket science, but you do need to understand the rudiments of network configuration in order to make an informed choice and then make the necessary changes.

Scott
Subject Author Posted

Connection issues

Don Richter October 07, 2007 11:14AM

Re: Connection issues

Scott Turner October 07, 2007 01:11PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login