Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Historic Paint

September 23, 2007 07:49PM avatar
Michael:

Several years ago, word was that the UP was going to tear the depot down. It had not been used in years, and the UP has a habit of a) offering the depot to the town with the caveat that it be moved (and thus not eligible for the NR) or, b) torn down. I made a call to see what I could do, and next thing I know the depot is on the engangered structures list!

Subsequently, I believe Antonito was able to purchase the depot.

When we updated the C&TS NR nomination, I really wanted to include the depot. Because it is owned by the City, it appeared at one point it would not be included. Some good luck and timing and hard work by CHS staff got it back on the list and you will find it included as a contributing structure. I expect Antonito needs to do a study, get on the stick, stabalize the structure and get it preserved.

Of all the NR nomination parts and pieces, I am most pleased to get the Antonito depot included as part of the nomination: though I don't expect it to happen right away, it still may be possible to board a C&TS train at the old depot someday!

Keith
Subject Author Posted

Historic Paint

Keith September 23, 2007 08:38AM

michael September 23, 2007 06:46PM

Keith September 23, 2007 07:49PM

Fritz Klinke September 24, 2007 12:48AM

Keith September 24, 2007 08:00AM

Kevin Strong September 24, 2007 02:21PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login