Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I checked the schedule

August 22, 2007 10:19PM avatar
I was killing a bit of time tonight and decided to play around with the DB website, which has really good schedule information. From what I found you can leave Berlin at 6:13 a.m. and be on top of Brocken at 11:51 a.m., two train to train transfers, all rail, with a nice narrow gauge steam ride from Wernigerode to Brocken. You can leave Brocken at 1:01 p.m. and be back in Berlin by 6:25 p.m., or you can leave as late as 6:25 p.m. and be back in Berlin by 10:43 p.m. Probably what you would want to do is catch an earlier train (and they run frequently) down the hill to Wernigerode, spend some time there, and then catch the later train back to Berlin. So I would think it ought to be doable. Actually, I may try this next time I have some excuse to be in Berlin (which is a very interesting city). And I would think this would be an interesting excursion for the young folks with you.

I just reread your post and you said December. This means a possibility of snow and cold weather, and the top of Brocken will be very cold. But you don't go to Germany in December without warm clothing so it should not present any major problems. And winter is my personal favorite time on the HSB because the cold makes steam so much more dramatic.

JBW

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2007 10:23PM by John West.
Subject Author Posted

German Narrow Gauge?

Kevin S. August 22, 2007 03:50PM

Re: German Narrow Gauge?

John West August 22, 2007 04:39PM

I checked the schedule

John West August 22, 2007 10:19PM

Re: German Narrow Gauge?

olarmy August 22, 2007 08:31PM

Re: German Narrow Gauge? Attachments

Don Newing August 23, 2007 10:50AM

Re: German Narrow Gauge? Attachments

Erik Priess August 23, 2007 03:12PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login