Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Fuzzy math

Earl
March 23, 2001 03:10PM
We did have the pump on the OY rebuilt back around 1995. And yes it did go in and out through the hatch in the roof. I got the air to work correctly on the OY too. OY has the old A1 system with a G6 valve, plain triples under the Rotary and tank, etc. We never had it work before because somebody had taken the rotary valve out of the brake valve in the pilot house. As we didn;t have any other A1/G6 stuff, we cut it out and let the other engine have the air. There is a straight air independent brake on the OY and tender long with a trainline dump valve to stop things if necessary.
Anyway, we rebuilt the pump, got the air to work, using parts from 463's old A1 equipment that we changed to 6ET. I was a proud and happy guy. 5 minutes before blast off from Chama, the OY's pump makes a big BANG and starts running fast. It turns out the contractor who rebuilt it forgot to to cotter key the nut on the bottom of the piston rod holding the air piston on. The nut fell off and landed sideways on the bottom head. The piston and rod on its next downward stroke hit the sideway nut and punched it neatly through the bottom head.
We cut all the air out, and did a repair on the road heading toward Lobato. We stole the bottom head off OM (the only other one lung 11" pump on the RR). We got it all back together, but it seems, I left the automatic air cut out.
To quote one of my predecessors: "I love a challange, it's a struggle a can't stand".
Subject Author Posted

Rotary air

Owen Chapman March 22, 2001 04:51AM

Re: Rotary air

El Coke March 22, 2001 06:51AM

Earl Knoob March 23, 2001 10:04AM

George Gaskill March 23, 2001 12:06PM

Fuzzy math

El Coke March 23, 2001 01:38PM

Re: Fuzzy math

Earl March 23, 2001 03:10PM

Rotary

Jim McKee March 23, 2001 03:55PM

Wit and wisdom of John Oldberg

El Coke March 24, 2001 06:19AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.