Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: derailment at Phantom curve

Wade Hall
June 01, 2007 08:53AM
The area around Phantom Curve has had problems with "soft track," especially in wet conditions, probably since the railroad was built. It's just the geology of that area. Some "old heads" I know from the Grande days mentioned long-standing problems there. I think the C&TS has wrestled with that trackage since Day 1, as well.
When I rode the C&TS one day last season, the train derailed in that area. Like the derailment described yesterday, it was a minor affair that was handled (albeit with lugging of re-railing frogs from the engine back to the derailed rear car) with relative ease. The crew knew exactly what to do and accomplished the re-railing very professionally without outside assistance.
As I have posted before, some people think, because the C&TS is a narrow-gauge tourist hauling railroad, that it is more of an amusement park ride than a "real" railroad. The truth is that the C&TS is probably one of the most operationally challenging railroads to be found in the U.S. That it safely hauls thousands of passengers every year is a credit to the highly professional railroaders that run the trains and maintain the track under those difficult operating conditions. They are true mountain railroaders. Just one more reason that the C&TS is a national treasure.
Subject Author Posted

derailment at Phantom curve

JIM PERKINS June 01, 2007 07:50AM

Rich Muth June 01, 2007 07:57AM

Wade Hall June 01, 2007 08:51AM

Wade Hall June 01, 2007 08:53AM

Mark Valerius June 01, 2007 09:13AM

Wade Hall June 01, 2007 09:38AM

Tim June 02, 2007 09:33AM

Sunday's Crew

Rich Muth June 01, 2007 10:15AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login