Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Saftey tennis shoes and near misses

March 27, 2007 09:45PM
Smitty, this diverges a bit from the thread concerning the Porter, but your remark reminded me of something I was just thinking about. My first real activity with SVRR was to help with the reassembly of the WH Eccles #3 Heisler down in S.Baker. The reassembly crew on a particular Sunday afternoon was former SVRy CMO Dick Anderson, Ron Brinton and myself. It seems like someone else drifted by, but I don't recall who. We needed to reassemble the front U joint, but somewhere along the line the two trucks had gotten out of time by a few degrees so we couldn't line up the pin to go through the Ujoint yoke. We ended up oiling the rail and moving the engine with a car mover onto the oiled rail and with the rear truck chained, we were able to slip the wheels on the front truck with an aligning bar through the spokes. I was holding up the drive shaft and yoke which was all I could do while Ron was trying to insert the pin, while Dick jockied the front truck with the bar. At some point the U joint yoke rolled out of my hands as I was loosing my grip and dropped to a tie. The weight of the drive shaft and yoke together is considerable and would certainly crush a persons foot. The yoke came down exactly astraddle of Ron's tennis shoe! An inch either way and he'd have been on the way to the ER.
Subject Author Posted

At least the weather was nice. *PIC*

Jerry Huck March 27, 2007 08:00AM

Re: At least the weather was nice. *PIC*

Jerry Huck March 27, 2007 08:03AM

Re: At least the weather was nice. *PIC*

Jerry Huck March 27, 2007 08:06AM

Re: At least the weather was nice.

dand March 27, 2007 09:12AM

Jim Spicer March 27, 2007 09:16AM

Nick Gully March 27, 2007 10:14AM

SVCartoad March 28, 2007 09:34AM

Matthew Mattioda March 27, 2007 10:39AM

Taylor Rush March 27, 2007 01:04PM

SMITTY March 27, 2007 01:59PM

Re: Saftey tennis shoes and near misses

J.B. Bane March 27, 2007 09:45PM

stats

James Freeland March 28, 2007 07:09PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login