Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Eurekas' Combine

March 08, 2007 10:48PM
Hi Steve,
Thanks for asking about how the combine is coming along. Well, believe it or not, I could start assembling it tomorrow. However, the limiting factor right now is that when I start assembling it, I want to go through with the process as fast as possible so that the interior parts are not exposed to the elements. My original plan was to assemble it in my hangar at the airport, but that got changed due to a number of rules that have come down the pike from the County. It seems to many guys got to working on boats, RVs, cars and the like instead of aircraft. So that spoiled it for me.
As a result of the airport rules, I am making plans to assemble it right here at my home. Before doing that I have to make a few modifications around here to the Transyard Railroad.
There are still a number of parts to make, but I cannot do that until the framework is put together. At least those things that need to be done are all flat work, such as siding (interior and exterior) roofing. That type of work goes very quickly, but there is no sense it cutting a bunch of boards to lengths that I am not yet sure about. Nevertheless, all structural parts and assemblies have been finished. These include the trucks, platforms, end doors, interior door, express doors, clearstory windows, windows, shutters, window posts, lentils, sills, queen posts, bolsters, floorboards, lamps, etched glass, blocking, hand railings, hand grabs, rafters, carlines, side rails, upper rails, draft gear with link and pin couplers, interior oval panels in birdseye maple, moulding, interior hardware and God know what else is piled up out there in the shop and at the hangar.
I'll tell you this, I have an acute appreciation how many parts go into making a car because I have made almost every single one myself. I should probably consult with some professional who has a couch and a lot of degrees on his wall to find and speaks with a German accent, to out why I have put myself through such torture.
The truth is, that I have enjoyed every minute of it all. Indeed, I am down to the point where I am thinking of what color to paint the exterior. The original color of the Billmeyer & Smalls car was a light yellow with all kinds of artistic floral designs for trim. In fact, in Flemings
"Narrow Gauge Railways In America" at page 50-53 there is a description of one of the original cars ordered from B&S, the "Eureka". There is a wood cut of that car and a description of it as well. I am basically replicating the "Palisade" which is substantially the same as the one Fleming discusses, except it will be a combine, and the side windows have gentle arches, rather that being flat on top. Anyway, Fleming notes, "The finest quality of poplar is used on the outside, while the richest and best varieties of hard wood, such as cherry, walnut and ash, are used with well selected profusion on the inside, and with its cushions of scarlet and green, and its hooks and lamps, and knobs, hinges, etc of silver mounting give it the appearance of some fairy boudoir rather than a temporary convenience for the travelling public.
The coloring is all very fine, and though not gsudy, it is yet bound to attract and please the dullest lover of the beautiful."
While the original car used a lot of mahogany also, I have opted to do most of the interior in walnut and birdseye maple. I had lots of walnut left over from when I made Eureka's cab, and thought it would look good. I have already varnished all the doors, windows etc, and they have come out to look stunning. The problem I have encountered with using finished walnut is that it will not go all that well with the original exterior paint of yellow. So, I am looking at other colors.
When the E&P did their first repainting of the cars, they painted them a maroon. Somehow, I think that will go better with varnished walnut, and it is still a historically accurate color the E&P used for the cars. Some years ago John Coker did a watercolor of Eureka pulling a train of the maroon cars. That painting hangs in my office, and I have become quite accostomed to that look.
Indeed, just this week I was talking to the Durango & Silverton about paint colors. The D&S sent me their colors used on the private cars for their road so I can get an idea of that shade.
If anyone out there has any suggestions as to colors, I am open to ideas. I may be able to make a lot of things, but art work is not my strong point.
It is wonderful to be at this point and I am anxious to get the project done.
I will try to get some pictures posted one of these days. Maybe someone out there who knows more about these computers can give me a hand in telling me how to do it here. As Dirty Harry said, "A man has got to know his limitation." I know mine, and it does not include all this digital stuff. It's all I can do to figure out 19th century steam locomotives and 20th century airplanes.
Dan
Subject Author Posted

Eurekas' Combine

steve dickey March 08, 2007 08:28PM

Dan Markoff March 08, 2007 10:48PM

Ted Yarbrough March 09, 2007 05:40AM

Phil Reader March 09, 2007 10:00AM

WilliamDiehl March 09, 2007 02:08PM

steve dickey March 09, 2007 09:08PM

Re: Eurekas' Combine *PIC*

Dave Grandt March 10, 2007 09:36AM

Dave Grandt March 10, 2007 09:38AM

Dave Grandt March 10, 2007 09:39AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login