Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

daily freight movements

February 10, 2001 10:27PM
I believe that a way for the C&T to make more money is to operate a daily freight movement between Chama and Cumbres. Use one locomotive and have enough passengers to make it profitable. In the event that a double header leaves Chama have a mixed consist complete with a caboose! It should have a purpose, set cars out on a sideing like Cresco or Cumbres. I feel that it makes the rail trip more interesting when you see equipment spotted throughout the line. It will also allow the freight equipment to get more frequent use and not just waste away in the yard in Chama. If that is not feasible since their is usually a idle engine in Chama on a daily basis have clinics on how to operate a steam locomotive-natuarally participants would pay and at the end of the session let them sit in the engineers seat and move the loco across the yard. Limit four to a group have them sign a waiver and charge $20-$30 per person for the clinic--I know I would easily pay that much. Schedule five or six 30-45 min sessions, and for a loco that would have just sat simmering all day would be making profits--I also think there would be a huge demand for this and could potentially attract more people to the Chama area. Just some thoughts--let me know what you think.
Subject Author Posted

daily freight movements

william February 10, 2001 10:27PM

Re: daily freight movements

RichB February 11, 2001 12:50AM

Re: daily freight movements

JSchwartz February 11, 2001 10:21AM

It could happen

John West February 12, 2001 09:36PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.