Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Mayo,Smith&Little Mtn Spurs

February 12, 2001 10:48AM
John,
That's quite a question, so I'll try to answer as briefly as possible. I've backshanneled you an ICC file protesting the closure of the South Park Line in 1910. This was two years after the CB&Q takeover of the C&S. The Q hated the three-foot gauge and tried to pull the same stunt in the 1920's, also.
As for Breckenridge, the Wellington Mines were a big shipper (as you can see by the ICC file). According to the C&S official Mileage booklet of 1920,
at MP 105.38 was the Washington Spur
at MP 106.41 was Mayo
at MP 108.25 was Smiths Spur
at MP 108.50 was Puzzle
at MP 109.19 was Tonopah Placer Co. (Gold Pan)
at MP 109.97 was Breckenridge
at MP 113.29 was Braddock's
I don't know where Little Mtn. Spur Came from, as it it is not listed in the material that I have here (which is source material, not published documents). I'll suppose that the line is from east to west (although through Breck it was pretty much North to South)
Going by the mile by mile valuation documents of 9/2/1918, we'll start at Washington Spur. nest to the spur it shows a 1720' loading platform but the only railroad owned structure was a Standard Station Sign. It shows the spur built on an open deck bridge, nest to the platform, an interesting arrangement.
Mayo shows a spur, a Station Sign, a no tresspassing sign and that's it.
Smith was a station sign at 596+17 (from Boreas) It shows a spur and a station sign.
while at 500+000 was the station sign "Jacot" spur. No buildings are shown (these signs are only 96.17 feet apart). It does show an abandoned spur to the right of the track.
Puzzle had a 438' spur to the north of the track. A bridge is shown close to the C&S culvert on the Right of way, with the notation "Built by Industry". However, no industrial buildings or loading docks are shown.
Gold Pan shows a spur to the north of the tracks, with a smaller spur off of it. My Breckenridge Yard Map shows it serving the Gold Pan Mining Company, with it servicing their Machine Shop and Pipe Shop. There is also a Platform close by.
In Breckenridge Proper, There is a 343 foot spur before reaching the depot, going to the south of the tracks on Montgomery Street.
There is also another 281 spur serving "bins" (no company listed)
Upon reaching the outskirts of the depot there is a 657.4' siding to a building (no company listed).
There is also a 490' spur to the south of the right-of way.
Just East of the depot is a 3-way turnoutwith three long siding tracks with a wye and a center cross over from No. 6 to the main. The facilities at Breckenridge show a water column. the Privy and Depot.
I have no traffic records, except those for the abandonment of the line, but Como, Breckenridge and Leadville were the largest towns on that line.
Hope that this helps a bit.
Rick Steele
Subject Author Posted

Mayo,Smith&Little Mtn Spurs

John McCutcheon February 09, 2001 06:33PM

Re: Mayo,Smith&Little Mtn Spurs

Rick Steele February 12, 2001 10:48AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.