Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Costa Rica Narrow Gauge

February 07, 2001 02:52PM
Senor the Coke:
I was there in June 2000. West coast (Pacific)line looked like it was electrified before the big quake. Understand the east coast (Atlantic) line was not. At the Atlantic side depot in San Jose the station is now a museum with much ready to operate equipment, including a steamer, on display. Didn't visit the San Jose Pacific station (in south side of city) but suspect there is much to explore. Costa Rica has an extensive RR history with Jamacian track crews laying rail from Lemon (Atlantic side) up to San Jose. It took a long time to build and only a day to stop operating after the quake. Although I did not explore the Atlantic side, that's where the quake did the most damage. The line was shut down after the quake and has not operated since but most of it is there and would be a terrific tourist attraction, especially running steam. There may also be some sugar cane feeders still around with their rolling stock and engines.
Yes, the line is 3.5' and when I mentioned that fact on this web site a few months back it generated some controvery. But I was correct!
Happy hunting.
pmc
Subject Author Posted

Costa Rica Narrow Gauge

El Coke February 07, 2001 01:37PM

Re: Costa Rica Narrow Gauge

pmcassell February 07, 2001 02:52PM

Thank you .

El Coke February 09, 2001 06:01PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.