Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Boulder Rail.org

December 07, 2006 06:58PM
"The Boulder Rail .org web site of the boulder county Railroad historical Society seems like it has not been touched in a year and a half."
First off, we use a yahoo group to send up to dat information about work sessions and projects out to members. If anyone is interested in being added to the list, please let me know.
As for the website, it's my fault. I graduated in 2004 which left me with less time to begin with, then I made the mistake of buying a Fairmont M14 which took me about 15 months to restore. Getting the website up to date is on my to-do list but it hasn't made it to the top yet.
some questions:
"did the GE Diesel being held there ever get moved up to the Sumpter Valley Railroad?"
Yup. They took random parts out of the cab of the one with a cab, and the other one's engine. We then set destroyed engine/good cab on the trucks from under the good engine/destroyed cab that they took. So now we have a fairly complete looking engine with a 2 foot hole through the engine block.
"The groups steam engine C&S 74 was moved to the Shop in Strasburg, Colorado. Is it still planned to go to Georgetown Loop for operation?"
Problem with 74 is that every single piece is shot. To run it would need a new boiler, and a new frame, and new running gear (I think?), so the plan is for it to be put back together and cosmetically restored. We'd like to see it run but we'd rather have a historically authentic engine than the "jack up the whistle and put a new engine underneath" strategy.
"Their coach was restored and moved to the Colorado Railroad Museum. Is it still there?"
I sure hope so!
"That leaves a lonely caboose in the park in Boulder. Is it still there or will it move out also?"
Caboose is still there, I don't know what the plan for it is. It's decently complete but needs brakes installed and the interior was gutted before it arrived in the park, so we need to apply for grants to get it finished up.
"Is there still activity at their Valmont site?"
Lots-- we're out there just about every month. Other historical society news: We went to the Como roundhouse and built (nice levelled, filled in, evenly spaced ties, etc) track into the #2 bay, where our narrow gauge South Park car has been moved. So it's preserved from the weather and won't deteriorate any further. We've painted our GP-9 which looks nice and shiny, although it's not lettered yet. And we've continued to extend our 3-rail track.
There are several members involved with the Georgetown railroad, and there are several more of us who are involved with the rocky mountain speeder club who spent quite a bit of effort on Creede Branch track maintenance last summer, so the side projects slow down BCRHS work on occasion. We're still making lots of progress, though! And we all have a good time and enjoy ourselves.
Like I said, I'm happy to put anyone interested on our yahoo group.
Chris Weaver
BCHRS
Subject Author Posted

Boulder Rail.org

ted miles December 07, 2006 12:14PM

Jerry December 07, 2006 12:26PM

Chris Weaver December 07, 2006 06:58PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.