Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: NNG: Feather River Shortline

June 30, 2007 11:26PM
The Feather River Shortline is actually a non-profit group that the late Jim Boynton (retired WP engineer and author) was one of the primary founders/member. I rode the cab of the #8 years ago with Jim running "his" engine.

One fall several years ago, the FRA (or the State of Nevada that has FRA authority) inspector let it be known that V&T needed to get a Form 4. They apparently ignored the "suggestion" and the order was made official. V&T tore down the #29 intending for it to only be out of service for that season replacing it with an xQuincy GE 44 ton borrowed from Portola. They were reminded by FRSL that their agreement was that the #8 was to be maintained in operating condition as part of its loan as the backup engine. So - the #8 was also torn down. For reasons unknown to me, neither engine has been completed in the last several years despite rumors of their intentions to.

The 44 tonner was retuned to Portola. V&T traded Portola the xOroville turntable for an xMilitary GE 80 ton, the current power. I think their ridership has been down, the whistle was definately their best advertisement. They must still be making money, the diesel is cheaper and the last I knew they were running a two person crew and not running around the train but just shoving the other way.

There is now yet another V&T - the new group is state sponsored with a board comprised of area county representatives. They are reconstructing the track from Gold Hill towards Carson City with several miles completed using track salvaged from the Reno trench project. They own the xMcCloud #18 now on the Sierra Northern, who will be the future contract operator. Right now everything is a mess until they come to an agreement or buy out the current V&T and combine the operations.

Dan Robirds
Fireman and Conductor on the V&T about 23 years ago
Subject Author Posted

NNG: Feather River Shortline

Ryan Shofner June 29, 2007 12:07PM

Andrew Brandon June 29, 2007 12:10PM

Dan Robirds June 30, 2007 11:26PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login