Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: State Fair train a go (UP Steam)

November 17, 2006 02:47PM
I was working with some old film recently showing the final run of the Rio Grande's "Royal Gorge".
At the end of its service the train was cut back to Salida. It left Denver each morning, traveled via Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Canon City, to Salida, and returned back to Denver in the afternoon as the eastbound version. This was 1967! So now 40 years later its going to take the UP 6 hours just to get to Pueblo????
Part of my response was because several years ago Nickel Plate 587 was used on the Indiana State Fair trains, which ran like shuttles during the entire fair. Maybe having the steamer run everyday is ambitious, but some sort of shuttle passenger train(steam or diesel), might be a good idea as well. However, if freight traffic is so tight, then we all know where passenger trains stand in relationship to getting the freight over the railroad.
On another note, I saw someplace where 3985 was to pull that train. When is it supposed to be done with its overhaul? Can't believe its been 7 years since I saw these engines, and that was returning from Railfair where a diesel was on the point, 3985 was in steam, and 844 dead in tow out of Rock Springs, WY. Will both engines be running in 07?
Greg
Subject Author Posted

State Fair train a go (UP Steam) *LINK*

The Linkman November 15, 2006 02:22PM

Greg Scholl November 15, 2006 05:54PM

Jim Burrill November 17, 2006 08:52AM

Greg Scholl November 17, 2006 02:47PM

Two Royal Gorge trains

Charlie McCandless November 17, 2006 10:01PM

Denver-Pueblo run times

Charlie McCandless November 17, 2006 10:25PM

Re: Denver-Pueblo run times

Greg Scholl November 18, 2006 06:49AM

Re: Denver-Pueblo run times

Charlie McCandless November 18, 2006 01:43PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.