Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Sumpter ValleyRy OLC Sawmill at Whitney,OR

October 12, 2006 10:13AM
I won't have time for a few days to research this, but a couple interesting things I have run across is that during the late 30's and I can't remember at present where I found this info, OLC shut down the mill at Bates and ran this mill for a while.
The second thing was that I ran into an AFE that was for building a single stall engine house with a service pit on the the tail track of the wye at Whitney also in the late 30's. I have noticed some stuctural remains out on the wye tail track that had not made sense till I saw this.
On the crew call board from the SVRy roundhouse in S.Baker (now hanging in the Sumpter Depot) one of the "jobs" listed is "Whitney Night". I wonder if this crew was related to the time in which an engine was based out of Whitney and the mill there was running? Acquisition of the crew board incidently earlier this year was made possible by the generosity of "loggerhogger" and his willingness to buy the board out his own pocket and trade it to SVRR in a trade mainly in SVRR's faovor.
Also, I've seen an aerial view of Whitney druing the late 30's and it was quite a bustling place from appearance. The late Ron Brinton had sent me this photo at some point, which I think is from SVRR's Emlaw collection. If I can find it next week, maybe I'll take a stab at posting it(first time for everything).
Subject Author Posted

Sumpter ValleyRy OLC Sawmill at Whitney,OR

Dale Snedaker October 09, 2006 04:58PM

Re: Sumpter ValleyRy OLC Sawmill at Whitney,OR *PIC*

Steve Thompson October 09, 2006 05:41PM

Re: Sumpter ValleyRy OLC Sawmill at Whitney,OR

J.B.Bane October 12, 2006 10:13AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.