Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

John W Barriger

September 13, 2006 05:13PM
I've been watching carefully for a few years and haven't noticed mention of JWB, so I'll give our history slueths a lead. He was an executive boomer, with positions at various eastern and midwestern railroads. During the Depression, he spent some time with the Reconstruction Finance Corporation, Department of Commerce, which just happened to require touring the D&RGW.
He took full advantage of his positions and contacts to build a humongous library. That collection is in the Mercantile Library, University of Missouri, St. Louis. Indexed and partially available online. Much more in boxes in the basement.
D&RGW shows up extensively in the on-line index. I've read elsewhere that in the 30s or 40s, he was invited by the then D&RGW president to tour the narrow gauge loop. Don't know if it was the RFC tour or later. Anybody familiar with his collection or his tour?
I had the pleasure of meeting him when he visited our engineering school in 1952.
Elder son (IIII or "The Fourth) spent his working life with the Santa Fe. Don't know the history of his younger son.
Subject Author Posted

John W Barriger

Dick Seelye September 13, 2006 05:13PM

Re: John W Barriger

Everett Lueck September 13, 2006 08:15PM

Re: John W Barriger/ RFC

Rod Jensen September 14, 2006 10:52PM

Re: John W Barriger/ RFC

Everett Lueck September 15, 2006 09:30AM

Re: John W Barriger

earl September 14, 2006 05:02PM

John W Barriger

Dick Seelye September 14, 2006 05:38PM

"Moriarty's Wonderful Saloon"

El Coke September 14, 2006 06:58PM

Re: John W Barriger III

Ron Welch September 14, 2006 09:11PM

Re: John W Barriger *LINK*

Max Cox September 15, 2006 05:49PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.