Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wood car Side sill replacement

August 22, 2006 12:41PM
Does anyone here know of any restoration group who has successfully replaced the side sills of a wood narrow gauge car without having to tear the entire car apart ?
Obviously there are a lot of cars on the C&TS that are suffering weather related problems to their side sills. In my experience, the intermediates and center sills don't have this problem as much, but I see many box, stock, and the few passenger cars which probably should have these sill replaced.
The preference is a complete replacement; not spliced and not "sistered". The problem we see is that among other things, the end sills need to be removed, the bolsters disassembled, and basically the car needs to be hung in the air so it doesn't collapse when the structural integrity of the side trusses is removed.
The D&RGW cars were built so that they would only come apart in the opposite manner they were built; from the top down. We would like to find another way so a car doesn't need to be completely disassembled to replace frame members.
Theories are nice, but I want to see results !
Subject Author Posted

Wood car Side sill replacement

Bill Kepner August 22, 2006 12:41PM

Re: Wood car Side sill replacement

Bill Pratt August 22, 2006 07:02PM

G. W. Laepple August 22, 2006 08:04PM

Mark Milbourne August 24, 2006 12:16PM

Philip R. Raynes August 24, 2006 07:58PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.