Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: NNG Texas State RR

Kevin
July 30, 2006 07:41PM
I will be taking my daughter for a ride this coming Sunday on the TSR. I talked to the ticket agent when I ordered our tickets.
She said the state legislature completely ignored all the economic reports of what would happen to the two communities, Palestine and Rusk, stating that the increase in social services and losses to the business communities would be one time losses/expenses that would elivate over time. The state legislature also ignored the economic reports that indicated the state made back its investment in sales tax revenue - essentially a break even deal for the state and the local communities made money. They viewed the railroad as "entertainment." It was not particularly important historically as there were still plenty of railroads operating all over Texas and the rest of the nation, the world for that fact.
The employees are trying to get a private operator to take over the railroad but given the 1.6M loss each year the state says the railroad generates, they are all just putting on their best face, trying to make sure the railroad is operated professionally and that the passengers have a positive experience, and when the season is over, they are going to find new jobs. As the ticket agent stated, for many it will mean a move as the communities of Palestine and Rusk are not large or prosperous.
A good lesson in not taking these operations for granted. The way the state legislature of Texas wastes money on some really silly stuff (I live in Texas) the money invested in the TSR, even if lost money, was chump change for the state, if that.
My daughter and I will enjoy our ride, take lots of photos and I will make more of an effort to get out and ride the trains I want to ride that I have not ridden. They might not be around much longer.
Subject Author Posted

NNG Texas State RR

Everett Lueck July 30, 2006 08:14AM

Steve Stockham July 30, 2006 08:58AM

Re: NNG Texas State RR *LINK*

Brian Jansky July 30, 2006 06:07PM

Re: NNG Texas State RR *LINK*

Brian Jansky July 30, 2006 06:09PM

CharlieM July 30, 2006 06:47PM

Kevin July 30, 2006 07:41PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.