Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Special Announcement C&S #9

July 26, 2006 07:41PM
Next Tuesday, August 1, 2006 is Colorado Day. Fittingly, CHS/Railstar decided it was appropriate to mark this day for the introduction to service of Colorado & Southern Engine #9, at Silver Plume, Colorado.
Most of you are aware of the amazing restoration
of this engine built in 1884, and restored by Marlin Uhrich and Uhrich Locomotive Works of Strasburg, CO.
On Tuesday, opening ceremonies will be talks by VIP's and dignitaries from State and Federal Government, and the cutting of a ribbon when C&S #9 comes out of the engine house at Silver Plume, which will begin at 9:00 AM.
For railfans, this event will present massive transportation headaches, as major auto traffic will be a problem as will be public parking.
It is STRONGLY encouraged that railfans opt for parking at the Georgetown Station parking area and access the line from this point where parking is more plentiful. The sounds of #9 working upgrade are more rewarding, than drifting downgrade from Silver Plume.
At this time, we have indications that there are two major TV productions that will shoot at the GLRR in August and September, one for Japan TV. The theme seems to be tourists RR's in Colorado, with emphasis on C&S #9.
Today I assisted the marketing director of the GLRR to plan suggested camera positions for the TV coverage...which will be accessed by speeder for genuine members of the PRESS ONLY.
As crowds are anticipated and parking will be a problem, the suggestion of using the Georgetown Station seems right on target.
While riding behind #9 on the Westbound trip from Georgetown to Silver Plume I was moved by the sounds of engine #9 as she clawed her way up the grade, westward. It was more than I had hoped for. Yes, better shots are made from off the train, but if you want to feel the "heart-beat" of engine 9...you have to ride. It is an experience not soon forgotten....and more than worth your time and trouble. Tune in to the "heart-beat" of #9 when she starts up the big fill, and you will hear the sounds of history, relived.... on the Georgetown Loop.
Subject Author Posted

Special Announcement C&S #9

Richard "Bo" Boulware July 26, 2006 07:41PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.