Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Sumpter in latter years

January 07, 2001 09:00PM
I hope Ron or Bob will post something in answer to your questions, but as I'm also quite interested is our history, I'll give you what little I know. The main line at S. Y. makes a 180 across the valley to start the climb up to Larch. Also across the valley from the S. Y. is the site of the old smelter which was served by the RR. at S. Y. the branch line ran on up the valley into Sumpter proper. In the middle of town a track branched to the right going upgrade, which made about a 120 and ended at a lumber mill. If the track made the turn you would be almost to cross Main St and just before this crossing was the depot. The track that this branched off of went on up behind the old main business dist. before the 1917 fire to service some warhouses or loading docks. Up in present day Sumpter some of the business sell a map showing the town lay out including the tracks prior to the fire. The RR suspended regular pass. service in 1937 so I don't suppose there was much traffic into town after that, but I really don,t know.
Subject Author Posted

Sumpter in latter years

john mccutcheon January 07, 2001 03:42PM

J. B. Bane January 07, 2001 09:00PM

J. B. Bane January 07, 2001 09:12PM

J.B. Bane January 12, 2001 06:56PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.