Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Ties-- Buy new ones

PRSL
December 15, 2005 09:23AM
I would not recommend that the C&TS pay to install any used SG ties. Installation labor cost would be cheaper per year if new treated ties were purchased. But I do not agree with the cost study develop to rebuild the EBT where they priced it to buy Azobie wood from Africa. That is an extremely hard, costly wood only used under crossing diamonds and high tonnage switches or crossings. (That cost study was designed to fail the project).
I think the question would be what size to be used? Should it be the NG size 6.5'x6x8 or the SG size 8.5'x7x9 type 1 or 2? The NG ties uses less board feet of wood but is considered a special cut and may cost as much as the SG ties. I would like to see the C&TS arrange to buy the rejects of the grading score at a SG treating plants. These would be much cheaper but they have plenty of good wood for the limited tonnage. Since hand, and not mainline installing machines would install them, bent wood is not a problem. The C&TS could use grade 4 and 5 that usually go to SG yard installations.
The C&TS could put out a bid quests for new NG size ties of treated oak in the East and try to arrange free or reduced transportation to Antonito that would give the best benefit and longest life. Any oak tie would be far better than local Ponderosa wood. Since it is the intention to keep the C&TS around for a very long time, a long life wood would pay it keep.
Also, SG tie size, if used, should be restricted to certain locations on the east end of the line. This is to keep the track 'Dressed' where the ends of the ties line up and look nice. There is no nicer looking track than a well-dressed ng track with ng length ties. Ties come in all price ranges and there is a lot to know for the best productivity, and to fit the nature of the location of use.
Subject Author Posted

Ties

Ken in Buena Vista December 14, 2005 05:49PM

Re: Old Ties

Ron Welch December 15, 2005 07:42AM

Tie Reuse

Rich Muth December 15, 2005 07:56AM

Re: Tie Reuse

Ed Stabler December 15, 2005 08:25AM

PRSL December 15, 2005 09:23AM

Fritz klinke December 15, 2005 09:34AM

Rob Gardner December 17, 2005 06:45PM

Re: Tie Reuse

LVRR9052 December 16, 2005 07:33AM

Re: Dullllll *NM*

PRSL December 16, 2005 03:05PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.