Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gorgeous Gorge

December 15, 2005 07:15PM
Thanks Phil for the the links to the Gorge photos and to the sad Shay story. I would agree with you on the standard gauging issue. There is no way there are enough narrow gauge shays left in the world...why standard gauge one of the remaining 36" ones???
Regarding photos of the old Doe River operation- yes, I did take a roll of slides the day I rode. They are about what you would expect from a 17 year old novice photographer! Several years ago I sent most of the better ones to Ken Riddle along with a photo or two of the last two ET&WNC box cars that we photographed back in the 60's. Ken should still have my stuff. Hook up with him, make copies and send them back if you would.
BTW,I have a distant connection to RACHEL. She was a "rebuild" project of Keystone Locomotive Works. My father, Walton King along with Walt Teskey and Carl Auel were the three fellas that started Keystone back in the 60's. Dad passed away in 1968 before Keystone got into the several 36" gauge projects. I helped him build two 19" gauge lines when I was a lad. Great fun. The equipment migrated to the Swanton Pacific RR in central CA where it runs today.
I would love to ride down the Gorge again someday. I am a summertime hogger on the Alder Gulch Shortline in Virginia City MT. Make you a deal...come west and ride the prettest little 30" gauge Baldwin and I'll come back east for another Gorge trip.
Subject Author Posted

D&C/CC&N #10 railbus info

Phil Raynes December 13, 2005 04:26PM

Shay in the Gorge?

Joel King December 14, 2005 06:47PM

Re: Shay in the Gorge? *LINK*

Phil Raynes December 14, 2005 09:40PM

Re: Shay in the Gorge? *LINK*

Phil Raynes December 14, 2005 09:46PM

Re: Shay in the Gorge? - part 3 - track! *LINK*

Phil Raynes December 14, 2005 09:56PM

Gorgeous Gorge

Joel King December 15, 2005 07:15PM

Re: Gorgeous Gorge *LINK*

Phil Raynes December 15, 2005 07:34PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.