Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Another rumor laid to rest-#497

December 12, 2005 04:10PM
You are correct. In 1967 under the labor agreements an engineer could have been deadheaded between Durango and Alamosa. On the occasion in question an engineer would have collected well in excess of a basic day for such a deadhead as he would have been deadheading over 2 different working divisions. In fact I would argue he would be entitled to two days pay and possibly a third for working off of his assigned working division. Then he would have been deadheaded back to Alamosa from Chama or from wherever the RR was done with him.
When the last available engineer in Durango marked-off, the Carrier had to make a choice of taking the train out of town with one engine and being over-tonnage or reducing down to one-engine tonnage, or call a deadhead. If they called the deadhead they would have had to delay the train leaving town because you have to allow time for the Alamosa engineer to deadhead to Durango and then get his legal rest under the Hours-of-Service Act. Also another very important consideration is if there is even an Alamosa hoghead available that is OKed on the territory Durango to Chama. In the case in question the DRGW took the train out over-tonnage knowing it would be a struggle all the way to Chama and it was a struggle. In fact some of the most entertaining stories I have ever heard about the narrow gauge happened on that trip but that is another yarn to spin later.
Things cannot be explained as simple as black or white, there are always several factors to consider. One thing for sure, I'll bet the RR was pissed off at the Durango hoghead who laid-off, which is probably why he laid-off so he could watch the Carrier turn red.
Subject Author Posted

Another rumor laid to rest-#497

John Templeton Chama Station Agent December 12, 2005 07:35AM

Slight Modification Noted....

Mike Trent December 12, 2005 03:40PM

AC Woodward December 12, 2005 04:10PM

Fritz Klinke December 13, 2005 11:32AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.