Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Coach bodies in Alamosa River Canyon

Dave Peterson
December 01, 2000 08:34AM
Back in 1995 or '96 Earl Knoob and I took a day trip from Chama up to Platoro and then down the Alamosa River canyon. To our suprise we found two narrow gauge car bodies at a boy scout ranch located between the road and the Alamosa River. The two cars were a Pullman and a diner as far as I remember. Both bodies were in resonable condition given they've been on the ground for over 50 years. The diner had holes appearing in the roof and one side was beginning to bulge out. Both cars had been gutted out, apparently to make them into dormitories.
Both Earl and I concluded that they were not beyond preservation but that given another decade without help they would probably be too far gone to do much with them.
I did take some photos of them and have them somewhere in my collection.
We also found a standard gauge Rio Grande wood caboose next to the road about 5 miles east of the car bodies. The caboose had been sheathed with wood shingles and made into a summer cabin. It appeared to be in excellent condition.
These carbodies are all easily visible from the road and are located between the reservoir at the mouth of the Alamosa canyon and the upper end o f the canyon where the road gets pretty steep.
there's also a ranch out in the San Luis Valley halfway between the Alamosa Canyon and the town of Alamosa that had about 10 narrow gauge MOW carbodies being used as outbuildings. All of these could be seen in an easy one day drive from Chama.
I vividly remmeber the day because while we were gone an intense hailstorm hit Chama and dented many of the Friends cars in the yard including smashing the sun roof on the Bunte's van.
Subject Author Posted

Coach bodies in Alamosa River Canyon

Todd Hackett November 30, 2000 08:43PM

Dave Peterson December 01, 2000 08:34AM

Rick Renz December 01, 2000 11:45AM

Dave Peterson December 01, 2000 12:03PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.