Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Swill NOT!

December 05, 2005 07:54PM
Yeh I know real railroaders are supposed to drink like fish. I guess in our defense of not finishing it off I will simply say we were the epitomy of virtue and self restraint!!
Actually I will have to admit to being a light weight and more so as the years roll by and of course our wives were present also helping with the evaluation.
Just for kicks I will tell a story on myself that is slightly amusing now after a few years. One of my fellow SVRy crew members is a man who likes to put down a few at the Miner's exchange tavern in Sumpter each evening. For a couple seasons I got paired up with my freind Paul at least once a month as his fireman (Paul being an engineer), so after a hard day we would both go to the tavern, and I would try to keep up with him beer for beer. The routine was that after about 6 beers at the Miner's exchange, we would go have 2 more beers and dinner at the Elkhorn Saloon. Paul was at that time about 70 and he was perfectly steady after an evening like this and would drive back the 5 miles to the yard where his trailer was parked. I on the other hand would set a course across the street to my rented cabin, which was not exactly a straight course after this many beers. On one occasion Paul's 2 sons and a daughter in law were visiting the rr. We all went to Myron's (the Miner's Exchange). Paul bought a round, ea son bought a round, the Daughter inlaw bought a round, Myron the owner bought a round, and I bought a round, then I had to drive back to the yard and on to Baker where I was staying. Well, the 5 mile trip was a little difficult and I knew driving to Baker was out of the question, so I walked (staggered) around the yard awhile, then decided it would be expeditious to take the back road through old Auburn to Baker. Somewhere I took a wrong turn, wound around up in the mountains for a while in the dark, finally had to consult a map and managed to make it to Baker in the wee hours of the following day, feeling quite sober by this time.
Now I simply admit to being a light weight and drink rather conservativly.
Subject Author Posted

Ash Pit ??

Westcoaster November 23, 2005 09:22PM

Re: Ash Pit ??

El Skonk November 23, 2005 09:50PM

Mik November 24, 2005 08:16AM

El Skonk November 24, 2005 09:01AM

(Message Deleted by Poster)

El Skonk December 03, 2005 10:42AM

Re: Ash Pit where is it??

Andre Poniatowski December 03, 2005 11:00AM

Greg Raven December 04, 2005 10:33AM

Bill Pratt December 04, 2005 10:54AM

Bill Pratt December 04, 2005 08:08PM

Don Richter December 04, 2005 11:57AM

Taylor Rush December 04, 2005 01:17PM

J.B.Bane December 04, 2005 01:29PM

John West December 04, 2005 02:27PM

Gavin Hamilton December 04, 2005 02:51PM

Don Richter December 04, 2005 03:23PM

Re: Swill NOT!

J.B.Bane December 05, 2005 07:54PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.