Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Steam Tonight in Silverton

September 25, 2005 05:24PM
This discussion reminded me of an interesting night steam experience I had and since it is technically narrow gauge I will share it. We were win South Africa in the summer of 1977, which was my first of two trips. We had been chasing the daily passenger train(all stops), between Bethlehem and Bloomfontain. We got our last shots as the sun was going down, but decided to follow the train the remaining hour or two of its schedule since it was going where we were.
Anyway, at this time you had Apartied, or white rule, in a country that was about 8-1 black.
One major stop was west of Bloemfontain, a major native township, the name escapes me. Anyway, we waited for train to stop there, and talked to the crew who had obviously seen us all day chasing. I asked about a cab ride, and was granted one into Bloemfontain, while my brother and our English friend would drive there and meet me at the station. My engine was a 25NC(4-8-4), and we have probably 15 or more coaches on the train.
The real interesting part of the story was when we were nearly to the station. We had stopped for a signal just at the throat of the station tracks, and the engineer asked me to hop off and board the coaches, so the railway police wouldn't give him some grief at the platform of this busy station. So I jumped down into the darkness, and walked back about 3 coaches, and got on that car. What you have to remember is that those trains had segregated coaches, and the white only cars were on the rear. I was inside a blacks only car, and when I detrained at the platform the railway police really gave me some strange looks. I walked past the engine, and thanked the crew, but kept on going before the police could get too nosey. Of course Americans would think nothing of doing what I did, but down there it was unheard of at the time(being in a blacks only coach).
I really loved those 25NC's. Great looking and the exhaust sounds to match. Now that I think about it that was the only cab ride I ever got in one, and it was during darkness!!! Sorry to be long winded, but maybe we need a break from the usual razzle-dazzle!!! Sweet dreams in the sleeping compartment, as the engine thunders along!
Greg Scholl
Subject Author Posted

Steam Tonight in Silverton

Fritz Klinke September 25, 2005 12:33AM

Greg Scholl September 25, 2005 08:53AM

Ed Stabler September 25, 2005 11:23AM

Greg Scholl September 25, 2005 02:44PM

Ed Stabler September 25, 2005 05:06PM

Greg Scholl September 25, 2005 05:24PM

Kenneth Cotton September 25, 2005 10:17PM

Re: Steam Tonight in Silverton *LINK*

Greg Scholl September 26, 2005 07:08AM

Kenneth Cotton September 26, 2005 09:32AM

Greg Scholl September 26, 2005 09:42AM

Kenneth Cotton September 26, 2005 09:54AM

Sleeping behind steam

John West September 26, 2005 10:46AM

Re: Sleeping behind steam

Kenneth Cotton September 26, 2005 12:46PM

Greg Scholl September 26, 2005 11:23AM

Re: Steam at Night over Cumbres, etc.

Russ Sperry September 26, 2005 10:03PM

Steam at Night

Herb Kelsey September 28, 2005 05:32PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.