Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SN #34

November 14, 2000 08:25PM
THe Silverton Northern had a small outside framed 2-8-0 .It was purchased for the Silverton Gladstone and Northerly to run the short but steep climb up Cement Creek to the Gold King mill .After the line went inactive about 1926 it was used and lettered for the Silverton Northern .It was last used there in 1938 , when a strike shut down the Sunnysde mill at Eureka .The n gine was interesting as it was lighter than other outside framed 2-8-0s like the Black Hills engines or the Crystal River locomotives .Perhaps this was to keep axle loadings down for the light rail on these roads . A mystery is what color this en gine was painted .According to Silverton locals ,the engines were painted green .Robert Richardson saw the engine in 1941 ,and thought it was black . In 1942 it was one of many Colorado engines shipped to Skagway . I am writing off the top of my head as I don't have the hard information handy . I painted a picture of this engine rollling out of Silverton ,and painted it green ,and it sold in short order !
Subject Author Posted

Deadwood Central

Brian Barr November 13, 2000 07:27PM

Re: Deadwood Central

Dennis O'Berry November 14, 2000 10:30AM

Re: Deadwood Central

Brian Barr November 14, 2000 07:33PM

SN #34

El Coke November 14, 2000 08:25PM

Re: Used book sources

Brian Norden November 14, 2000 09:37PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.