Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newfoundland 42in gauge coaches

creeker
August 15, 2005 08:47PM
Hey,
I'm a member with the New Jersey Museum of Transportation. We have two wood coaches in our collection that are from the Newfoundland Nation Railroad (later the Canadian National).This was the 42in gauge railroad on Newfoundland. The one car we have operational. It was built in 1902 by Jackson & Sharp of Wilmington Delaware. I think it was a first class car and it carries the #508. It has a gentlemen's smoking section at the rear of the car with two benches running its length on either side of the car. this was separated by a swinging door from the gentlemen's bathroom. Here we have a toilet on the left and on the right a sink. Again this was separated by a swinging door. Now there is the passenger section. This has regular passenger seats that (in its revenue days) can flip over. The car seats about 55 I would say. After this you come to another swinging door. Now on your left is the ladies bathroom. This only has a toilet. On your right is the boiler room. The car was built with hot water heat. In the winter we use steam and then only if it is about 20 or below and only have it on for 10 mins. The car is double insulated and the windows have a second pane that can be put down in the winter to further insulate the car. Most of the time a crowd of people will warm the car up and it will stay that way all day! Now here comes my reason for posting all this. The car from what I can tell was not restored with the right interior. Dose anyone out there have pictures, know some one with pictures, know where I can find any information at all on the Newfoundland National RR please share it. If anyone has person knowledge of the railroad and knows the car I am talking about and could possible shed more light on its past please do. Again it is Ex Newfoundland National Railroad(or railway)Ex Canadian National #508. Built in 1902 by Jackson & Sharp and was 42in gauge. Its on its original trucks just re-gauged to 3ft.
-Eric
Subject Author Posted

Newfoundland 42in gauge coaches

creeker August 15, 2005 08:47PM

Re: Newfoundland 42in gauge coaches

Gary Nichols August 16, 2005 03:16AM

James C Patten August 16, 2005 02:30PM

Gary Nichols August 16, 2005 04:07PM

JR May August 16, 2005 07:09AM

Lee Carlson August 16, 2005 07:38AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.