August 10, 2005 02:58PM
Not too long ago comments were posted about La Porte, Indiana’s Hesston Steam Museum and the stewardship of it’s artifacts. The general tone was something like “fix them, run them or give them to someone who will.” This point of view prompts me to pass along some information about the La Porte County Steam Historical Society and it’s superb museum.
First, it is an all-volunteer organization. Dues, donations, the proceeds from admission to special events and donations from members and friends cover costs. To my knowledge it gets no local, state or federal funding.
The members are as dedicated a group as you will find anywhere. They have overcome adversity that would have caused lesser organizations to fold. That the LCSHS survived the 1985 fire speaks volumes.
As to the Shay, it is a 1929 Lima product (shop number 3345) and was the last narrow gauge Shay built. It is a three-truck three-cylinder coal fired contrivance that weighs in at about 115,000 pounds empty. It was built for the New Mexco Lumber Company. It went to the Oregon Lumber Co. in 1937 and ended up running on the Black Hills Central.
When the LCSHS acquired it from the BHC, it was in dreadful shape. I recall reading that, in addition to the usual boiler work all old steamers require, it had bent cylinder rods and a host of other woes that lesser organizations would not have been able to correct. But the good folks at LCSHS persevered and #3345 returned to steam.
She was cosmetically damaged in the 1985 engine house fire and is undergoing yet another restoration. The boiler is being prepped for priming, painting and re-insulation. The cab is being re-build and all the break equipment has been removed, repaired and tested. Though there is no projected completion date, she well on the way to steaming again.
I think we participants of this forum should give the good people of the LCSHS a vote of thanks and offer them our sincere encouragement.
Best regards,
John Trier
Orland Park, IL
PS Thanks to John Harbeck for the details about 3345.
Subject Author Posted

Hesston Steam Museum

John Trier August 10, 2005 02:58PM

Re: Hesston Steam Museum

Donald Foster August 10, 2005 03:22PM

Steve Stockham August 10, 2005 03:51PM

Ed Kelley August 10, 2005 10:31PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.