Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: A few pictures... *PIC*

July 20, 2005 02:05PM
Here is Austrian NG 0-6-2T 395-104. Built by Krauss in Linz, Austria in 1890 to run on the Mori-Arco-Riva bahn in Italy. When that line was destroyed in 1917 I believe, it then went to Poland where the German Army used it as a switcher. After that it ran in Yugoslavia. It was last used in Romania. Then it was given to the Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo. I don't know the details of that part. All I know is that someone at the zoo got a call in 1970 that said "We have your engine, it's on a boat at the river, what do you want us to do?". UP went and got it, then they converted it to air, and put four little ugly air tanks on the top of the water tanks.
UP made new water tanks for it. Those wore out so we just had a local company make us a new set. Henry the shop manager took advantage of the tanks being off and put two of the air tanks between the cab wall and the boiler on the firemans side. Then he mounted the injectors below the cab.
This locomotive will always be one of my favorites. It's a real riot to run. Our 1968 Crown is fun...but nothing like the Austrian locomotive.
This zoo railroad is no regular park run either. 4% grades and a short stretch of 6% for about a 1/4 mile. The Crown can only do four cars, and still stalls. The Austrian walks up those hills with 7 cars.
Subject Author Posted

A few pictures... *PIC*

Kevin Bush July 20, 2005 01:40PM

Kevin Bush July 20, 2005 01:46PM

Kevin Bush July 20, 2005 02:05PM

Kevin Bush July 20, 2005 02:06PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.