Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Derailment at the Loop

July 10, 2005 12:32PM
Not speaking offcialy and going on second hand information, Georgetown Loop Railroad diesel #21 decided to go for a minor off track excursion on the high fill curve. This happend while it was leading the 4th train of the day up the hill, doubleheading with steam locomotive #12.
#21 derailed and went about 40 feet before the entire train stopped. #12 and all of the cars stayed on the track. (Unlike the Class I railroads who describe a train wreck that destroys 40+ coal hoppers and puts two locomotives in the Colordao River as a "minor derailment", the term is correct here, #21 came off of the rails but did not leave the roadbed and remained coupled to #12. As far as I know #21 was not damaged)
As #12 and the train were behind #21, they were backed down to Devils Gate. Trains ran yesterday, at a reduced fare, from Devils Gate to the Lebanon mine and back. As of yesterday about noon, one wheel set on #21 was rerailed and a track contractor was on site to look over the track and perform any needed repairs.
I imagine that Steve Torrico or someone else will post information sometime, for now I would guess that they are plenty busy getting things back to normal.
Jason Midyette
Subject Author Posted

Derailment at the Loop *LINK*

Chris Webster July 10, 2005 11:02AM

Jason Midyette July 10, 2005 12:32PM

John Kyler July 10, 2005 02:56PM

Kerry Ann July 10, 2005 01:15PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.