Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Devils Gate Bridge question

July 10, 2005 11:34PM
yes there is a section at the mine stop over by the mine managers office building between it and the tool room and from the looks of it, that bridge had really beaten the snot out of itself by the time it was scrapped in 1940.
If I recall right, some of the uprights were recycled as mine supports elsewhere.
Additionally, the viaduct was overhauled in the teens, I believe it was and much more reinforceing was added to it, includeing the large cross braceing you see in many of the C&S photos of Devils Gate. This did not, however do much to change the fact that the bridge loved to hula when the trains went over it. It is when you look at the remaining upright at the mine, that you can see the major change that was made when the replica was built in 1984. The original uprights were made of cast iron 1/4 rounds riveted together to make a whole section and they were just over 6 " across. The replica uprights are 12 inches across, which makes it about 5 times stronger and far more stable then the original. The fins and riviting you see today are all cosmetic and non loadbearing.
Subject Author Posted

Devils Gate Bridge question *LINK*

Bob Yarger July 08, 2005 01:16PM

Stephen Peck July 08, 2005 01:49PM

KWilcomb July 10, 2005 11:34PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.