Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LOOP UPDATE

July 02, 2005 07:37AM
Many thanks to all that have sent me and Railstar well wishes....much appreciated by the crew and staff.
No.12 was down three days this week for a boiler wash and the installation of a new water glass on the engineers side.
I would like to address some points that Rod Jensen pointed out in his post of 30 June.
It is clear that assertions made by Mr. Goes and Mr. Torttier AND CHS were a bit premature, in regards to the aquisition of equipment. The loop could have been shut down this year while equipment was found and restored. However, it was decided to "get the doors open" the best we could. With the time that was available No.12 was a quick path to go. I would dare say that if a person had to put together some operating narrow gauge equipment in a hurry, there are not many options. It has been stated many times here on this board that CHS and Railstar "lied" about a seemless tranition....well, I think that having the doors open on May 28th with a steam train ride is pretty seemless. Starting up with the same capacity, equipment, etc. no one ever thought was possible.
In regards to "beating the living daylights out of her before the end of the season" Well known steam consultant Rob Mangels and John Rimmash have both inspected the engine prior to its operation and since she has been in service. It is already in the plan this winter to renew the running gear and replace the boiler tubes. The running gear is pretty much in the same condition as when it came to the states. The running gear is in pretty good shape. We have a very agreesive lubrication program and are confidant that we will have no problems this season.
In regards to the choice of which engine to restore first...CHS did not make this decission. They followed the recomendations of the company that has been engaged to restore these locomotives. After an evaulation of both the No.9 and the No.74 and it was determind that the #9 was in better shape and required no major boiler or firebox work. The other eight drivered engines out there are being pursued. I have been told that CHS has the desire to bring the engines from Idaho Springs (No.60) and Brekenridge (No.111)here as well. I would also like to see the engine and combine that is on display in Central City come here also. Certainly having these engines here and running would be much better than their present disposition. It is the intention of Railstar to develop rolling stock, not just any non-descript type cars. Railstar plans to have replica C&S excursion cars built and then lease the cars to CHS. It is also be discussed that a replica of the Argebntine Central 40 passenger self-propelled rail car, No.9, will be built as well.
As far as I am concerned the No.9 will be lettered Colorado & Southern.
I put out an open invitation to any persons that would like to come on board and help us in keeping the loop running. When it comes the the operation of the train, we with Railstar make the decissions, not CHS. We have determind what the safe hauling capacity of the No. 12 and the No.21 is and we will NOT over tax the engines in order to haul more people.
Subject Author Posted

LOOP UPDATE

Steven Torrico July 02, 2005 07:37AM

Re: LOOP UPDATE

Steve Stockham July 02, 2005 08:36AM

Dick Grosbier July 02, 2005 09:15AM

Dale W. Brown July 02, 2005 12:32PM

Ed Stabler July 02, 2005 01:17PM

Donald Foster July 02, 2005 01:46PM

PRSL July 02, 2005 06:47PM

Jess VanWinkle July 03, 2005 06:34PM

Re: #9

Jim July 03, 2005 11:26PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.