Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Engine Houses *LINK*

June 17, 2005 01:56PM
Hi,
The attached drawing is from my book "The Gainesville Midland and Her Sister Short Lines".
It shows the two track engine house the Gainesville Midland used in the 1950's to maintain their stable of 2-10-0s and 2-8-0s.
Since the GM is 42 miles long, this drawing (done by the GM Trainmaster Joe Glossom in 1976) is probably a good example. They could not do heavy repairs but it reminds me of the C&TS Chama shops - it could do most anything.
The blacksmith's forge is on the upper left.
Below it on the left is a wood lathe.
Moving to the right are a pair of grinders, a drill press, a small lathe, a pony lathe (I'm not sure what a pony lathe is), the shop wall, the wheel lathe, and two pits to service the locos.
On the track farthest to the right is a wheel pit (drop pit) also.
Down the left next to the shop is a seperate room for welding, a store room, a locker room, and the crew room and office.
Outside was another pit - apparently this was used for two items - quick instpection an minor repairs when the stalls were full and as an ash dump using shovels to load wheelbarrows to take them away. There was no depressed track to allow shoveling directly into a gondola.
The shop building was apparently replaced in 1964. There is only a foundation and the two tracks at the site today.
I hope this helps.
Doug vV
Subject Author Posted

Engine Houses

Kevin June 17, 2005 09:16AM

Re: Engine Houses

Mike Stillwell June 17, 2005 10:07AM

Gavin Hamilton June 17, 2005 12:27PM

Pat June 18, 2005 06:52AM

Re: Engine Houses *LINK*

Douglas vV June 17, 2005 01:56PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.