Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Durango 1965, The Don Winslow collection On-Line *LINK*

June 08, 2005 09:24AM
Because of the recent discussion of structure colors and other information, it's time (again) to provide a link to my favorite collection of on-line photos of Durango in the 60's.
This is a 4 page album, you can link to the other pages from the one provided here. Every picture is interesting and full of information.
This is exactly how I remember Durango the first time I ever saw it in the summer of 1966, one year after these photos were made.
Thanks to Rick B for making these available on his "Slim Rails" website, there is a wealth of other good stuff here too, but this collection has always been my personal favorite.
We pick up new readers throughout the year, so a lot of you haven't seen this before, and for those who have, go see it again.
This goes back to the days when Durango was still the undisputed "Narrow Gauge Center of the World".
Two trains started running on the Silverton Branch in 1964 with the addition to the roster of the new steel coaches and three rider gons. "Rio Grandeland" now occupied Main Ave from the Depot to 6th St. The "Silverton" had now become the most profitable narrow guage enterprise in history, a trend which continues to this day. There was still freight activity to Alamosa, and big freight engines were still in service, and the Yard and it's facilities were still complete.
This year marks the 40th anniversary of these photos, how can that possibly be true?
Anyway, take a "Trip to Yesterday" (as the D&RGW used to advertise "The Silverton") and see Durango exactly the way I remember it all those years ago.
Subject Author Posted

Durango 1965, The Don Winslow collection On-Line *LINK*

Mike Trent June 08, 2005 09:24AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.