Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

More 315 doings

April 29, 2005 11:57AM
Yesterday I met with FRA inspector (and former railroader on the GLR, C&T, D&S and GCRy.)Mike Ramsey and D&S boilermaker Danny Webb. We went over the 315's boiler carefully, with Dan Webb and I going into the boiler barrel. Dan was impressed at the boiler condition especially the condition of the crown bolts,throat sheets and knuckle . Our weldwr , Mike Waggoner was also there,and we inspected the back flue sheet and again Dan was inpressed with the thickness and general condition of the sheet, though there was plenty of welding repair to do on it. We looked at a couple of small places where some pad welding may be done. Mike Ramsey liked the fact the lap seam had a reinfocement welt, though the number of rivets could influence what boiler pressure we finally are given by the FRA. Genewrally Mike Ramsy was very happy at the care we were doing as far as preparing the engine for FRA review, and stressed that we should document everything very carefully,including photos of the locations on and in the boiler previously mentioned. Dan Webb and Ramsey were cautiously optimistic that little work was needed on the running gear, but we need to keep oiling up all bearing surfaces before test-rolling the engine. The DRHS also aquired a beautiful steam gauge from the estate of good friend and member Mike Nemecek.
www.rrart.com
Subject Author Posted

More 315 doings

El Coke April 29, 2005 11:57AM

Re: More 315 doings

Kevin Bush April 29, 2005 02:54PM

In my back yard

El Coke April 29, 2005 07:59PM

Journal work?

Bob Yarger April 29, 2005 03:12PM

Skinny guy scenario

El Coke April 29, 2005 07:57PM

Re: Skinny guy scenario

Les Clark April 30, 2005 05:51PM

Re: Skinny guy scenario

bob walker May 01, 2005 05:40AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.