Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The RGS Story Volume XI

April 10, 2005 12:28PM
Sundance has released The RGS Story Volume XI. This volume covers Durango and the Perins Peak Branch. For fans of the RGS and fans of Durango, this book is a must.
There is more history and photographs of the standard gauge Farmington Branch than I have ever seen before. Kudos to W. George Cook for tying the history of this branch in with the RGS. There was more big business going on than most people realize.
There is also the history, with many photographs, of the trolley line that ran down Main Avenue in Durango from the D&RGW depot north to 32nd Street. I have never seen so much information on this line, let alone photographs.
There are also beautiful photographs overlooking Durango, from many different angles, before the 1900’s . Many of these photos have been enlarged and show a lot of detail. One of these shots clearly shows the railroad turning facilities in Durango before the turntable and loop were installed. It was a wye with the tail on a long trestle! Very nice shots.
There are many photographs of the Gradens mill in the later years showing much detail, as well as color shots of Durango’s Main Avenue in the late 40’s.
The highlight for me was the Perins Peak Branch. What an operation, complete with a 3rd class passenger train! Coal was not the only commodity shipped. Wonderful information. This branch would make a great operation to model.
As a fan of Durango, this is a wonderful book with much visual and written information. Hats off to Dell McCoy and his team for assembling yet another great book.
Ray Loose
Durango, Colorado
Subject Author Posted

The RGS Story Volume XI

Floppo April 10, 2005 12:28PM

Re: The RGS Story Volume XI

Rod Jensen April 10, 2005 02:10PM

Re: The RGS Story Volume XI

Fritz Klinke April 10, 2005 03:01PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.