Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GLRR past employee question....

April 10, 2005 08:33AM
As I'm horrible with names, I was wondering if the folks here could help me match a name with a "face" that I remember from the GLRR. I keep thinking from responses on the board that maybe the guy in question is a responder to this board - maybe not.
Anyway..........
I took a family trip with wife, kids, sister and brother-in-law, and inlaws to Silver Plume, probably in 2000 or 2001. I'm the only RR enthusiast in the family, and the rest went along to apease me. When we got to Silver Plume, I started wandering around the area, as we we there way early (I was real sorry, I thought the train left earlier.....). Nice lady in the ticket office found out that I was a RR "fan" (foamer) and called over to the engine shop to have me and the father in law take a tour.
A big guy with silver ish hair and mustache came out and greated us at the front door of the shop and then proceeded to show us the place. They were working on a large Shay, and allowed us to walk right up and stick our heads in next to the cylinders and look at stay bolts etc. on the side of the boiler. Also had an extended conversation about making brass journals/ bearings as they had to be manufactured on sight from large brass slabs that were brought in. The guy really had his stuff together........ I remmeber thinking that I would give my right arm to have half the knowlege about the workings of steam engines that he must have in his brain.
He represented himself as kind of the head honcho in the shop.
I think he looked like in his 50's?
I'm sure somebody knows whom I'm talking about, would just like to put a name on the "memory".
Thanks,
Rodger
Subject Author Posted

GLRR past employee question....

Rodger Polley April 10, 2005 08:33AM

Re: GLRR past employee question....

Phil Reader April 10, 2005 09:34AM

John Hammond April 10, 2005 12:38PM

John Hammond April 10, 2005 12:40PM

Re: GLRR past employee question.... *PIC*

Stephen Peck April 10, 2005 05:10PM

Re: Phil Reader

Skip Luke April 11, 2005 06:01PM

thanks..

Rodger Polley April 10, 2005 03:00PM

Re: thanks..

John Hammond April 10, 2005 04:04PM

Chris Webster April 10, 2005 07:28PM

Re: thanks.. *PIC*

Stephen Peck April 10, 2005 08:06PM

John Kyler April 10, 2005 10:08PM

KWilcomb April 10, 2005 09:30PM

Skip Luke April 11, 2005 06:04PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.