Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fiddletown & Copperopolis (SG Steam) *PIC*

March 25, 2005 11:44PM
Hi, youse guys -
Please forgive my daring to mention a standard gauge steamer here in Narrow Gauge Country, but at only 10 tons, Fillmore & Western's #1, Sespe, is smaller than most 36" or even 30" gauge engines. She was built in 1891 for the Rogue River Valley RR in Medford, Ory-gun, and is probably the model for the 0-4-0 saddletank featured in some of the Fiddletown & Copperopolis cartoons - "Railfans Come to Visit" or something like that comes to mind. (I don't have a copy of the book, but have seen it a couple of times.)
Last Sunday I was privileged to make a $50 donation to the RR society in Fillmore, in exchange for which I was able to hang out for a few hours with, and help out, a very fine bunch of volunteer railroaders. Of course this included about twenty-five minutes at the throttle of Thomas the Tank Engine's older American cousin, in addition to the privilege of polishing the handrails & bell and hauling a few wheelbarrows of wood. The fuel was old, pulpy and wet, so Sespe didn't steam very well, but she has had a fair amount of work done on her recently and was running well and looking good. The customary deer antlers on the headlamp were removed during restorations a while back, but are expected to return by Sespe's next outing, scheduled for the Fourth of July.
The photo below shows yers trooly tooting the rather large whistle, which dropped the already low pressure another 5 to 10 pounds. The gentleman to the far right of the photo is Roger Brower, formerly of the GGRM / Project 2472 team, who is now managing steam restorations and operations for the Fillmore & Western. (Photo by Sally Brower)
- Russo de los Locos
Subject Author Posted

Fiddletown & Copperopolis (SG Steam) *PIC*

Russ Sperry March 25, 2005 11:44PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.