Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: How Many Locomotives?

Bob
September 20, 2000 10:13PM
Scott,
Mark Yates and I spent some time this evening kicking your question around. What we came up with is pretty much the same as the good old days with Kyle. Those were the days that saw Tom A., Earl K, John B., Jack C., John C., Tom E., and Joe V. all on the property at the same time.
6 is the number of engines that had been up in those years. In any given year 5 should be up and 1 in for major mechanical work. 3 out of 4 would rotate with one engine basically in reserve each day. This is assuming a Chama doubleheader and an engine out of Antonito. The 5th slot would allow for unexpected events and/or excess demand. Not under steam but on the line for a short call. Once enough engines were up to make this possible it would make life much easier in the shop. Instead of fighting fires each night the crew would be able to approach maintenance in a more scheduled and systematic manor. Don't take this as critisism of this years operation, the shop crew has worked wonders and kept 3 engines going against all odds. What was left to them from the previous operation was deplorable. Given the proper amount of time and money I would not be suprised to see this 5/6 situation appear again on the property. As for more engines coming up we can only dream. Maybe one or two, but the 6 there now will handle substantially more volume than they have ever been called on to do in the last 30 years.
This is not the official position of the RR but one I have found to be very workable in years of day to day observation of the RR.
Subject Author Posted

How Many Locomotives?

Scott Green September 20, 2000 03:49PM

Bob September 20, 2000 10:13PM

Tom Kneib September 21, 2000 05:32AM

Maybe next year

John West September 21, 2000 09:27AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.