Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GTL

Scott Green
January 28, 2005 03:07PM
I agree, #12 is quite photogenic.
I don't see how the GTL will ever be a "historical" operation. I would like to see all of the remaining C&S locos restored to operating condition, but what are the implications of daily usage for these small locomotives. Are they any harder to maintain than #40,44 or the Shays? The C&TS uses historic locomotives on a daily basis, but with the added advantage of interchangeable parts.
I know that cubic $ is the issue once again, but it seems that the long term solution to "historical" operation on the loop would be fabrication of replicas of the "historical" motive power & passenger equipment used on the original loop. For a number of reasons, this is not likely to happen. (It won't happen.)
The argument of using up the historic "fabric" of the C&S locomotives revives the argument of preservation vs operation. Operation means wear which means replacement. The CHS is not likely to fabricate a new locomotive, so the choice is to use the stock of existing CO locomotives or find something else (as was done previously on the loop). Looks like the #12 is the short term solution for steam and #9 & 30/74 are the long term solutions. The idea that use on the loop will "wear out" #9 & #30 I guess could be true if the CHS does not commit to a proper maintenance schedule. It seems like use of the smaller locos would require a larger pool of locomotives, due to increased maintenance needs and the potential of doubleheading for longer train lengths during peak ridership times. Can you doublehead over the big bridge?
As a casual railfan I would like to see this work out. For the sake of the businesses in the region, I would like to see this work out. Let's hope that Railstar can pull a rabbit out of their hat and make it work. The previous operators have set a high standard of safety and reliability that the new operators will have to work hard to live up to.
JMO
Scott G.
Subject Author Posted

GTL proposed loco #12 *PIC*

creeker January 28, 2005 12:59PM

GTL

Scott Green January 28, 2005 03:07PM

Re: GTL

Skip Luke January 29, 2005 03:11PM

Re: GTL proposed loco #12

Herb Kelsey January 28, 2005 05:03PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.