Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Professional Advice to former GLRR, Inc.

January 26, 2005 02:13PM
Did the crews not carry radios and have radios in the cabs? I know they weren't under FRA, but had they been I believe it is a requirment along with their being a redundant radio in the cab. We normally have a hand held in the fireman's seat box, in case the mounted radio fails, or if we have a head end brakeman, his radio provides a backup. We operate with hand signals as much as possible, but from time to time the engineer will not be looking for the highball, or signal for a brake test as he may be preoccupied with conversation or lunch. Someone who was training me few years back, pointed out if you key the mike on your raido, the static and clicking in the cab, usually gives them the heads up to look back, without a word said. I visited another tourist rr last summer where they used hand signals, but the conductor carred a big silver whistle. When he wanted to get the attention of the engineer to receive a signal he would give a big tweet on the whistle. Low tech, but effective, and easier on equipment than unnessary emergency applications. No offence or criticism to the GTL, as I have no idea what their procedures were/are.
Subject Author Posted

Professional Advice to former GLRR, Inc.

PRSL January 25, 2005 08:29PM

Jeff A. January 25, 2005 09:50PM

J.B.Bane January 26, 2005 02:13PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.